Thursday, May 19, 2005

Robert Allen Zimmerman

I've become a listener of Bob Dylan, Robert Zimmerman at birth, more and more as the years go by. So in a ground breaking event, I give you, Gentle Reader, a Rant like none other. A complete quote:

Tangled Up In Blue

Early one morning the sun was shinin' /I was layin' in bed /Wonderin' if she'd changed at all /If her hair was still red. /Her folks they said that our lives together /Sure was gonna be rough /They never did like mama's homemade dress /Papa's bankbook wasn't big enough /An' i was standin' on the side of the road /Rain fallin' on my shoes /Heading out for the east coast /Lord knows i've paid some dues, getting thru /Tangled up in blue.

She was married when we first met /Soon to be divorced /I helped her out of a jam i guess /But i used a little too much force /We drove that car as far as we could /Abandoned it out west /Split up on a dark sad night /Both agreein' it was best. /She turned around to look at me /As i was walkin' away /I heard her say over her shoulder /"We'll meet again some day, on the avenue /Tangled up in Blue''.

I had a job in the great north woods /Workin' as a cook for a spell /But i never did like it all that much /An' one day the ax just fell /So i drifted down to New Orleans /Where i's lucky to be employed /Workin' for a while on a fishin' boat /Right outside of Delacroix. /But all the while i was alone /The past was close behind /I seen a lot of women /But she never escaped my mind an' i just grew /Tangled up in blue.

She was workin' in a topless place /An' i stopped in for a beer /I just kept lookin' at the side of her face /In the spotlight so clear /An' later on when the crowd thinned out /I's just about to do the same /She was standin' there in back of my chair /Said to me "Don't i know your name?'' /I muttered somethin' underneath my breath /She studdied the lines on my face /I must admit i felt a little uneasy /When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe /Tangled up in blue.

She lit a burner on the stove /An' offered me a pipe /"I thought you'd never say hello'', she said /"You look like the silent type'' /Then she opened up a book of poems /An' handed it to me / Written by an Italian poet /From the thirteenth century /An' every one of them words rang true /An' glowed like burning coal /Pourin' off of every page /Like it was written in my soul from me to you /Tangled up in blue.

I lived with them on Montague Street /In a basement down the stairs /There was music in the cafes at night /An' revolution in the air /Then he started dealin' with slaves /An' something inside of 'em died /She had to sell everything she owned /An' froze up inside. /An' when finally the bottom fell out /I became withdrawn /The only thing i knew how to do /Was to keep on keepin' on like a bird that flew /Tangled up in blue.

So now i'm goin' back again /I got to get to her somehow /All the people we used to know /They're an illusion to me now. /Some are mathematicians /Some are carpenters wives /Don't know how it all got started /I don't know what they're doin' with their lives. /But me i'm still on the road /Headin' for another joint /We always did feel the same /We just saw it from a different point of view /Tangled up in blue