Sunday, June 26, 2005

Musical Easter

Last Thursday I made the pilgrimage to my musical mass. If that last sentence makes no sense to you, then you need to read some of my old stuff. Anyway, I was going to skip church this year, because I couldn't get chair tickets, the only thing left was lawn, and I'm not a big fan of the grass. However I ended up going with a friend and we went to the lawn, and it wasn't all that bad. I could see everything, it was just a bit smaller, and the sound was great. I'll still prefer chair tickets any day of the week and twice on Sunday's but in a pinch, the grass will do just fine.

Now on to the "review", of all the DMB shows I have been to, this one was the best. The first time I went, it was towards the end of the tour and there wasn't much energy left in them. The next one was the second of a two night show and there where the same results. Now both shows where excellent, so that should tell you how good this one was. The band went through some issues of late and really haven't recorded with each other in a long time. There last album was tracks that didn't make it on some other albums, hence the name "Busted Stuff". Then the band "split" and a couple of them released solo albums. Last year they got themselves a new producer and went to work. The passion was back and it showed to the Virginia Beach crowd. To me they looked like they where having fun again and not "working" and that made all the difference. There where a few favorites that I wished I would have heard but that's alright by me. Because divided by the three I've gone to, I've heard live the ones I wanted to hear.

Also as requested by CJ a long time ago. The best album to check out if your new to DMB is "Crash" it's the essential, in my opinion. "Before These Crowded Streets" is next followed by either "Live at Folsom Field, Boulder Colorado" or "The Central Park Concert". The concert albums are all great, you really can't go wrong with them. Plus they go out a little further when the tapes are rolling. It's the best way to experience the band. The new one, "Stand Up" is good, but wouldn't make any converts to the flock. There are a few good tracks to check out though, "American Baby", "Louisiana Bayou", and "Hunger for the Great Light".

Until next time...