Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why I Have To Skip Concerts And Games

This morning I wanted to purchased tickets to see Billy Joel and Elton John. This is a legendary show that has happened a few times in the past and I never got to go. The only thing I could afford was upper deck behind the stage. So, if they have any kind of tall backdrop, I'm screwed.

The other thing that bothers me about this is that we have to go to Ticketmaster or any other kind of outlet. By the time I was able to get to the site, the decent tickets were gone, not that I could afford them anyway. They have something called Ticket Exchange that allows you to buy and sell tickets that folks already bought. Now here is where the prices skyrocket; this is, essentially, legal scalping of tickets.

The sports world is no better. Tickets to the playoff game between the Steelers and the Ravens started at $239.00. The Penguins start at least $80.00.

You can't forget the service charges either.

Maybe someday I'll have the disposable income to afford these things. While I'm a student my sporting events and concerts may be on hold and that pisses me off.